Rwanda Visa Application and Requirements
When it comes to safaris to Rwanda, a visa is a must to have if you are to be allowed to enter into this remarkable country. Following the new immigration law, the Rwanda visas come in various categories and residence permits that address various purposes of visiting, working or residing in the country. Each of the visas or permit comes with its own prices: The Transit Visa for single entry and valid for 72 hours costs $30, Entry Visa costs $30 for single entry and $50 for multiple entries, Tourist Visa $30, Family Visa goes at $30, Conference Visa costs $30 for single entry and $50 for multiple entries, Business Visa $50, East African Travel Visa costs $100. Any of the Rwandan visas are payable in cash or sterling and US dollars or by MasterCard where the commission doesn’t allow any these means of payment, you pay by bank transfer, online transfer or direct deposit to the Rwanda High Commission Consular Account using their details. The Rwandan Directorate General of Emigration and Immigration usually publishes a list of visa classes and their prices. Intending visitors are encouraged to access Rwanda visa as early as possible through Rwandan Diplomatic Mission or online.
Procedure of applying for the Rwandan Visa
There are various ways that visitors can apply for Rwandan visas. One can be through Rwanda Embassy/high commission at your respective country for instance in Washington DC where you will need to submit your application form to the Embassy in person or you can post it online and should be directed to the Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration in Kigali, www.migration.gov.rw. For visitors applying by posting, ensure that all your details are included especially your address record delivery or first class delivery return envelope in the application pack.
- You need a valid passport of at least 6 months.
- Applicant should submit a complete application form in his or her own hand writing or in type for example, regular visa application form/East African tourist visa (EATV) application form.
- EATV visas are not got on arrival with no prior approval
- You need 2 (two) colored passport photos, white background and they should be visible and free from hair, hats or scarf.
- Applicant must have a signed accompanying letter which spells out reasons or purpose for his or her travel to Rwanda.
- A signed invitation letter with a copy of passport or ID and residence permit or confirmation of hotel accommodation booking.
- You will need to present the evidence of residence in USA, Mexico, Brazil and Argentina
- You will need to have a copy of yellow fever vaccine certificate only a copy can be offered together with application as a requirement.
- For exceptional reasons where applicants don’t have yellow fever vaccine shots for instance senior citizen and people whose health conditions don’t permit this vaccine, doctors written recommendation should be presented during arrival time.
- The payment should be by money order, cashier check or bank draft refundable. The embassy doesn’t need personal cheques, credit cards or cash as mode of payment
- In case you submit documents in short of one or more of the mentioned visa requirements can lead to delays in processing
- Prepaid, registered and self addressed envelope should be included with an application submitted by mail.
- The visa process takes about a week or two weeks of business days for regular visa and four for expedited
For more details on visa requirements, visit the Rwandan High Commission: For visitors who need resident or business or missionary multiple entry visas on entry to Rwanda, they are required to have a UK police clearance prior their travel. You can get this information through ACRO Criminal Records Office Website and it takes approximately 10 working days to process.
The visa fees
It is also important for you to note that if your application form is denied or withdrawn by the applicant, the paid money is non refundable
In the view of bilateral agreements, the nationals who are traveling from state especially Hong Kong, Philippines, Mauritius, Singapore and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC); you are obliged to visit Rwanda with no visa till after 90 days which is nearly 3 months time.
East African Community (EAC) member states
In the view of EAC partnership, a state passport especially for Burundi, Kenya and Uganda, such visitors will be offered a six month renewable passport up on arrival at no cost.
Visas that are given up on arrival to Rwanda
These classes of visas take about one month on arrival with no prior application and beneficial states for this category covers all African counties, Australia, Germany, Israel, Newzealand, South Africa, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States of America; the visa costs around $30 on arrival.
Holders of US travel document
Visitors with United States travel documents, you are advised to obtain visas before landing into Rwanda and if you do not get one at the embassy or online, you might be denied to board a plane to Rwanda.
Another option for visa application for a single entry visa online
In case of any information concerning online applications, you must direct it to Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration in Kigali, Rwanda; www.migration.gov.rw
UK emergency travel documents (ETDs) are also accepted on entry, airside transit and exit from Rwanda. If you are visiting Rwanda mainly because of ETD, you will have to present Rwandan Immigration with genuine reasons to use an ETD. For this case the evidence of residency should be presented.
In conclusion, if you are planning to visit Rwanda for safari whether gorilla trekking or any business make sure you have a visa with you to be allowed to cross over the country’s borders. Obtaining one can be done through online or from Rwandan Embassy next to you.